Friday, October 10, 2014

Jeweled Runway

I'm finally catching up on my DVR-ed Project Runway episodes!  I'm still pretty far behind, but I'm having fun sketching with them again!

Episode 7 was a jewelry challenge.  Designers were able to chose a set of Chopard jewelry to inspire the design of their gala gown (and for their models to wear with the gown).  I was immediately drawn to a large-scale necklace with diamonds and sapphires.  This also happened to be the first set chosen.  Here is my design:

Here is a better picture of the jewelry itself.

So the dress is pretty simple, but the twist -- did you catch it?  That's right!  She's wearing the necklace backwards!  I thought it would showcase better and give a little innovation while staying classy that way.  It's hard to see, but there are silver sparkles on the skirt that get more dense towards the bottom for a shimmer-ombre effect.  

I'm not sure what I would use for the silver accents.  I would just find whatever inspires me at Mood!  I would even consider appliquéing some silvery lace.  It wouldn't have to be beads or sequins.  

Once I watched the rest of the episode, I saw the back of the necklace.  There is actually another sapphire dangle hanging from the clasp, so I would switch up the neckline to let that be seen.

So there you have it!  I think the dress is too simple to make a big impact on the Project Runway judges, but I could see someone actually wearing this to a fancy State dinner or something.



No comments:

Post a Comment